Sunday, October 23, 2011

Crossing the (Northern) Border

Day 8:  On the road again...to Vancouver, Canada!  First things first, gotta make a stop at my favorite quilt store in Washington, Keepsake Cottage Fabrics.  The store is located at Country Village in Bothell, Washington and has tons of Moda and Lecien fabrics, great magazines and patterns and just tons upon tons of quilt samples.  There are 5 rooms of yummy fabric to touch and check out.  I can spend hours at this store .


Check out the interior of this store.  They had quite a selection of Fig Tree fabrics in yardage and pre-cuts.  They also include some of the older collections so it is easy to mix and match.


Here is their selection of sale fabric and books.


And their staff is very friendly and helpful.  Speaking of staff, I am glad that Kay is working on the day of my visit.  I met Kay in Danville last year when she also attended Verna Mosquera's quilt retreat.  We were chitchatting and I asked her where she was from.  And when Kay said she was from Bothell, Washington, I exclaimed "Oh my God, have you been to Keepsake Cottage?  I love that store."  It so happens she works there.  Works there!  Holy cow.  How can she even take home a paycheck working at this store?

Anyhow, here I am with Kay.


Check out the sample behind us.  It will be their latest block of the month.  Isn't it gorgeous? 


Dad and I had tea at The Village Eatery and Tea Company before proceding on north bound.


Here's dad in their pumpkin patch.



Next stop is La Conner Quilt museum.  I have been to Skagit Valley before for the tulip festival.  But sadly, it is not as picturesque in the fall.  So, the skies were getting dark when we got to La Conner and the Gaches Mansion looks a bit scary.  In fact, there are having an event called Ghosts of Gaches Gala on October 29th.  Appropriate, don't you think?



Here are some photos of the interiors. 



And here's the spindle on the third floor.  I can just picture a ghost spinning here at night and the wheel just squeeking away.


I believe this is called a floor compass or floor compass medallion.  Notice how the wood flooring has a pineapple block pattern around the compass.


More about the quilt exhibit tomorrow.








No comments:

Post a Comment