Monday, June 24, 2013

Putting on the Finishing Touches

Remember this quilt?  I'm FINALLY sewing on the binding.

Here's a peek of the border...

and the backing and binding.

Yey!  Can't wait till I'm all done.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

In Time for Fall 2013?

It's been about 7 months since I first started my Abundance quilt and I had put it away for a while because I was distracted with other crafting projects.  But I finally got around to completing the remaining blocks for this quilt.

Here is another pumpkin block.

And here's the ginormous scarecrow.  Eyes, nose and mouth to follow.  

Which reminds me, when I was six, my grandfather married his fourth wife (a young 19 year old) and I heard the adults talk about how my grandfather bought his young bride a new nose.  In my ever so innocent mind, I thought she was born without a face (!!!) just like Mr. Potato Head and my grandfather was so kind and generous to buy her a nose at the doctor's.  If not for him, she'd still be roaming the streets with just 2 holes on her face so she could breathe.  

Of course, I was also picturing them trying on different noses to find just the right one and I could not stop staring at her face marveling how real her nose looked and how skilled the doctor was in attaching said nose.  True story!  

And predictably, wife #4 left my grandfather for another man. 

Anyhow, I learned from that story that it is okay to change out whatever doesn't work.  See below and read on.

Here are some of my blocks on the design wall.  It really helps to take a step back and see what doesn't work out or which block needs a little nip/tuck.

Hmmm, that corn is kinda weak.  The pear block melts into the background and that turkey block is really bothering me.  

So, I changed out some of the corn kernels. (Before on the left, After on the right)

Here's the new and improved pear.  The background fabric on the left was too busy.

And finally, the turkey block.  If you remember, I had originally used this really light pink fabric on the turkey father and it was hardly visible so I decided to use embroidery floss to outline it but it was still barely visible.  (Right)

So, I ripped out 3 layers of the turkey tail to replace the topmost one.  And I also replaced the pumpkin curly cue so it wouldn't stand out so much (too blue!)

So, here's the completed quilt top.  My goal is to get this basted next week so I can start machine quilting it this summer and perhaps finish it right in time for Fall 2013.

I apologize for the quality of these photos.  Sadly, I don't think my camera takes the best quality pictures.