Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Shopping Trip to Los Angeles

So far, January has been a very busy month partly because my computer crashed and I've had to reload all my programs and files.  I've got a lot of news to share but lets start with a trip to a Los Angeles quilt shop.

Dad went back to Asia and on the way to the airport, we made a quick stop to Sew Modern.  I've heard a lot about this store as it is where the LA Modern Guild meets monthly.


The store is beautiful, clean and spacious inside and has a "minimalist" look so it is very easy to shop and not get too overwhelmed.


Here is the sitting area for shoppers to browse books, patterns or visit with other quilters.


I met Lauren, the owner, and she is so warm and lovely.  


They were also having a great sale and I was able to purchase backing for one of my future quilts at 40% off!  Yey!  Now that I have the backing, I've got to get to work putting the quilt together.  I would really like to take some classes here but it is quite a drive from where I live.  I found a great article about Sew Modern here.

This quilt on the wall also caught my eye.  I had quite a chuckle because I recognized Marcel from the Bravo  TV show "Top Chef" (one of my fave reality shows!) and his penchant for adding foam to almost all his dishes.  The quilt is made by Alissa Wright as part of a series of quilts called "Reality Show Villains".  Here is an article (and better pictures) of Alissa's quilts.  Love it!


A few of the LA Modern Guild members and shoppers work in the entertainment industry so the store has a different (as in fun and creative) vibe!

I also wanted to share with you this beautiful Sashiko tote bag one of my friends (Carolyn Y.) received from her mother-in-law.  The handwork is just gorgeous.  Carolyn is a very lucky girl!




No comments:

Post a Comment